Skip to Main Content
Financial Indicators of Reduced Impact Logging Performance in Brazil: Case Study ComparisonsAuthor(s): Thomas P. Holmes; Frederick Boltz; Douglas R. Carter
Source: 26 February 1 March 2001, Kuchmg, Sarawak, Malaysia
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (400 KB)
DescriptionIndicators of financial performance are compared for three case studies in the Brazilian Amazon. Each case study presents parameters obtained from monitoring initial harvest entries into primary forests for reduced impact logging (RIL) and conventional logging (CL) operations. Differences in cost definitions and data collection protocols complicate the analysis, and suggest that caution is necessary in interpreting results. Given this caveat, it appears that RIL can be competitive with or superior to CL in financial returns to initial harvest entries if the financial costs of wood wasted in the harvesting operation are fully accounted for. Standardization of study methods, and replication of studies across different forest types, levels of industrial scale and markets, would allow more rigorous tests to be made of RIL relative profitability. Adoption of RIL techniques as part of a longterm forest management system faces additional challenges related to the opportunity cost of timber set aside to maintain productivity and ecosystem integrity, as well as issues regarding land tenure security.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHolmes, Thomas P.; Boltz, Frederick; Carter, Douglas R. 2001. Financial Indicators of Reduced Impact Logging Performance in Brazil: Case Study Comparisons. 26 February 1 March 2001, Kuchmg, Sarawak, Malaysia
- Financial returns under uncertainty for conventional and reduced-impact logging in permanent production forests of the Brazilian Amazon
- Financial and ecological indicators of reduced impact logging performance in the eastern Amazon
- Financial and Economic Analysis of Reduced Impact Logging
XML: View XML