Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Nevada Photo-Based Inventory Pilot (NPIP) photo sampling proceduresAuthor(s): Tracey S. Frescino; Gretchen G. Moisen; Kevin A. Megown; Val J. Nelson; Elizabeth A. Freeman; Paul L. Patterson; Mark Finco; James Menlove
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-222. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 30 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (7.4 MB)
DescriptionThe Forest Inventory and Analysis program (FIA) of the U.S. Forest Service monitors status and trends in forested ecoregions nationwide. The complex nature of this broad-scale, strategic-level inventory demands constant evolution and evaluation of methods to get the best information possible while continuously increasing efficiency. In 2004, the "Nevada Photo-Based Inventory Pilot" (NPIP) was launched and involved the acquisition and processing of large-scale aerial photography (LSP) throughout the State of Nevada. The over-arching goals of this pilot are to exceed information requirements, accelerate inventory timelines, and reduce inventory costs. Meeting these objectives requires the development of several complex and inter-related procedures, including photo-sampling protocol, statistical estimators, cover measurement techniques, and improved methods for mapping forest and nonforest attributes. This report documents the first of these procedures, the photo-sampling protocol for the NPIP project.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFrescino, Tracey S.; Moisen, Gretchen G.; Megown, Kevin A.; Nelson, Val J.; Freeman, Elizabeth A.; Patterson, Paul L.; Finco, Mark; Brewer, Ken; Menlove, James. 2009. Nevada Photo-Based Inventory Pilot (NPIP) photo sampling procedures. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-222. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 30 p.
KeywordsNevada, photo-based inventory, photo interpretation, quality control, large-scale aerial photography (LSP)
- Nevada Photo-Based Inventory Pilot (NPIP) resource estimates (2004-2005)
- Using interpreted large scale aerial photo data to enhance satellite-based mapping and explore forest land definitions
- Photo-based estimators for the Nevada photo-based inventory
XML: View XML