Skip to Main Content
Western juniper in eastern Oregon.Author(s): Donald R. Gedney; David L. Azuma; Charles L. Bolsinger; Neil McKay
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-464. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 53 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (0 B)
DescriptionThis report analyzes and summarizes a 1988 inventory of western juniper (Juniperus occidentalis Hook.) in eastern Oregon. This inventory, conducted by the Pacific Northwest Research Station of the USDA Forest Service, was intensified to meet increased need for more information about the juniper resource than was available in previous inventories. A primary sample, using aerial photos, recorded crown cover and ownership on all juniper forest and savanna lands in eastern Oregon. The inventory sampled all private and public lands in eastern Oregon, except some lands classified as reserved and some National Forest land. A secondary sample of field plots was established in juniper forests. Detailed statistics were developed of the area, volume, and ownership of juniper forests. The report includes data on juniper in transitional stands where juniper grows in association with ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa Dougl. ex Laws.) and other commercial timberland species. Estimates of the area of juniper savanna also are presented. Data on juniper forest and savanna are presented by crown cover class and for juniper forest by site index. Maps and statistics of change during the past half century are shown based on past inventories and historical records. Large-scale maps of the past and present range of juniper and their occurrence in relation to ownership, elevation, precipitation, and soils are included.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGedney, Donald R.; Azuma, David L.; Bolsinger, Charles L.; McKay, Neil. 1999. Western juniper in eastern Oregon. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-464. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 53 p
KeywordsWestern juniper, Oregon (eastern), statistics (forest), forest surveys
- Western juniper drying project summaries, 1993-96.
- California's western juniper and pinyon-juniper woodlands: area, stand characteristics, wood volume, and fenceposts.
- Performance of finishes on western juniper lumber and particleboard during outdoor exposure
XML: View XML