Skip to Main Content
Timber products output and timber harvests in Alaska: projections for 2005-25Author(s): A. Brackley; T. Rojas; R. Haynes
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-677. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 33 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (1.9 MB)
DescriptionProjections of Alaska timber products output, the derived demand for logs and chips, and timber harvest by owner are developed by using a trend-based analysis. These are revised projections of those made in 1990, 1994, and 1997, and reflect the consequences of recent changes in the Alaska forest sector and trends in markets for Alaska products. With the cancellation of the long-term contracts and the closure of the two southeast Alaska pulp mills, demand for Alaska national forest timber now depends on markets for sawn wood and the ability to export manufacturing residues and lower grade logs. Four scenarios are presented that display a range of possible future demands. The range in annual demand for timber from Alaska national forests is 48 to 370 million board feet of logs annually. Areas of uncertainty include the prospect of continuing changes in markets and competition, and the rates of investment and innovation in manufacturing in Alaska.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBrackley, A.; Rojas, T.; Haynes, R. 2006. Timber products output and timber harvests in Alaska: projections for 2005-25. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-677. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 33 p
KeywordsNational forest (Alaska), forest sector models, lumber
- Timber products output and timber harvests in Alaska: projections for 1997-2010.
- Tongass National Forest timber demand: projections for 2015 to 2030
- Using TPO data to estimate timber demand in support of planning on the Tongass National Forest
XML: View XML