Skip to Main Content
Evaluation of the retail market potential for locally produced paper birch lumber in Alaska.Author(s): David L. Nicholls
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-493. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 17 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (223 KB)
DescriptionAn evaluation of the retail market potential for random-width paper birch ( Betula papyrifera Marsh.) lumber in Alaska was conducted. Information from lumber manufacturers and retail managers was used to identify current barriers to customer acceptance of locally produced paper birch lumber. Major retail markets and paper birch producing regions throughout Alaska were considered in this study. Results indicated generally favorable retail market potential for Alaska paper birch with strong interest from both lumber producers and retail store managers. Key issues that were identified included (1) the ability of lumber producers to secure dependable log supplies, (2) consistent moisture content control and dimensional stability of kiln-dried lumber, and (3) appearance features that could potentially influence purchasing decisions, such as heartwood or sapwood variations. Finding suitable selling arrangements between relatively small lumber producers and retailers also was identified as a potential barrier to successful sales programs. Recent trends in Alaska indicate that greater volumes of paper birch lumber are being kiln dried to the quality standards needed for retail market sales.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNicholls, David L. 2002. Evaluation of the retail market potential for locally produced paper birch lumber in Alaska. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-493. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 17 p
KeywordsMarket potential, paper birch, lumber, wood products, Alaska
- Injection of emamectin benzoate protects paper birch from birch leafminer (Hymenoptera: Tenthredinidae) for two field seasons
- Wood properties of trembling aspen and paper birch after 5 years of exposure to elevated concentrations of CO2 and O3
- Production & germination of paper birch seed and its dispersal into a forest opening
XML: View XML