Skip to Main Content
A technical assessment of the market for wood windows in Japanese post and beam constructionAuthor(s): J. Roos; P. Boardman; I. Eastin
Source: Forest Products Journal 54(6): 23-30
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (140 KB)
DescriptionThis research was conducted to develop a better understanding of the problems and opportunities confronting U.S. wood window manufacturers in the post and beam segment of the Japanese residential construction industry. The specific objectives of this research were to (1) provide a description of the Japanese market for wood windows; (2) survey Japanese builders regarding use and specification of wood windows, both domestic and imported; and (3) recommend strategies for increasing the competitiveness of U.S. wood windows in the Japanese post and beam market. To obtain primary information on the use and perceptions of U.S. wood windows by Japanese post and beam construction professionals, a short survey was administered to 87 Japanese construction professionals. In addition, approximately 50 post and beam construction sites were visited to evaluate window installation techniques, discuss problems associated with using U.S. wood windows in post and beam homes, and identify potential solutions. This research suggests that standard U.S. window sizes can be easily accommodated into the post and beam construction system used in Japan. However, product design and the range of services being offered have a substantial impact on the competitiveness of windows in Japan. The U.S. wood window manufacturers should at least consider the following actions to increase the competitiveness of their products in the future: (1) establish training and education programs for Japanese construction professionals; (2) produce and distribute a generic window installation manual in Japanese; (3) translate product and installation information into Japanese; and (4) provide technical support and replacement parts for their windows in Japan. This research clearly shows that with a well-developed strategy, U.S. wood window manufacturers can be competitive in the Japanese post and beam construction market.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRoos, J.; Boardman, P.; Eastin, I. 2004. A technical assessment of the market for wood windows in Japanese post and beam construction. Forest Products Journal 54(6): 23-30
KeywordsWood window manufacturing, wood window marketing, post and beam construction, Japan market, window installation
- Market segmentation and analysis of Japan's residential post and beam construction market.
- Wood used in industrial markets in the United States--2000
- Eastern white pine secondary manufacturers: consumption, markets, and marketing
XML: View XML