Skip to Main Content
Chapter 15: Economic analysis of federal wildfire management programsAuthor(s): Krista M. Gebert; David E. Calkin; Robert J. Huggett; Karen L. Abt
Source: In: Holmes, T. P.; Prestemon, J. P.; Abt, K. L., eds. The economics of forest disturbance: wildfires, storms, and invasive species. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer-Verlag. p. 295-322.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (14.1 MB)
DescriptionIn the past two decades, there has been a significant increase in the number of acres burned by wildland fires and in the amount of money being spent to suppress these fires (Calkin et al. 2005a). With expenditures on suppression alone climbing to more than a billion dollars in four of the past seven years (2000-2006), the federal land management agencies are coming under ever increasing pressure by Congress and government oversight agencies to manage fire in a cost efficient manner. Economic analysis can benefit all fire-related programs and activities, and ignoring economic analysis in the wildland fire decision-making process, whether on a strategic or tactical level, can lead to wasted resources, poor outcomes, and higher-than-warranted expenditures.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGebert, Krista M.; Calkin, David E.; Huggett, Robert J., Jr.; Abt, Karen L. 2008. Chapter 15: Economic analysis of federal wildfire management programs. In: Holmes, T. P.; Prestemon, J. P.; Abt, K. L., eds. The economics of forest disturbance: wildfires, storms, and invasive species. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer-Verlag. p. 295-322.
Keywordseconomic analysis, wildfire management
- Forecasting wildfire suppression expenditures for the United States Forest Service
- Chapter 17: Forecasting wildfire suppression expenditures for the United States Forest Service
- The economic dimension of wildland fires
XML: View XML