Skip to Main Content
Chapter 14: The impacts of climate change on forestryAuthor(s): Linda A. Joyce
Source: In: Adams, Darius M.; Haynes, Richard W., eds. Resource and Market Projections for Forest Policy Development: Twenty-five Years of Experience with the US RPA Timber Assessment. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer. p. 449-188.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.6 MB)
DescriptionThe quantitative analysis of the impact of future climate change on forests and forestry began in the 1980s, motivated by research in the atmospheric sciences and concerns about the potential impacts of climate change on forest ecosystems. These analyses suggested that forest ecosystems would be seriously impacted by climate change, with consequent impacts on the forest sector. It was not until the mid-1990s that the ecological and the economic impacts were first modeled together at the national scale. The RPA Timber Assessment was the first national timber assessment model to include climate change scenarios impacting forest productivity and the forest sector. The modeling treatment of climate change included exogenous analyses of climate change impact on ecosystem productivity under various climate change scenarios and linked such analyses to the forest sector modeling system. These analyses and the work that built on this approach suggest the importance of integrating ecological dynamics with the economic in the assessment of climate change on forests.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJoyce, Linda A. 2007. Chapter 14: The impacts of climate change on forestry. In: Adams, Darius M.; Haynes, Richard W., eds. Resource and Market Projections for Forest Policy Development: Twenty-five Years of Experience with the US RPA Timber Assessment. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer. p. 449-188.
Keywordsecosystem productivity, biogeochemical, biogeographical, producer and consumer welfare
- Effects of global climate change on the US forest sector: response functions derived from a dynamic resource and market simulator.
- From source to sink: Past changes and model projections of carbon sequestration in the global forest sector
- Projected US timber and primary forest product market impacts of climate change mitigation through timber set-asides
XML: View XML