Skip to Main Content
Comparative gas-exchange in leaves of intact and clipped, natural and planted cherybark oak (Quercus pagoda Raf.) seedlingsAuthor(s): Brian R. Lockhart; John D. Hodges
Source: Journal of Forestry 66(5): 404
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.17 MB)
DescriptionGas-exchange measurements, including CO2-exchange rate (net photosynthesis), stomatal conductance, and transpiration, were conducted on intact and clipped cherrybark oak (Quercus pagoda Raf.) seedlings growing inthe field and in a nursery bed. Seedlings inthe field, released frommidstory and understory woody competition, showed significant increases in gas-exchange compared to non-released seedlings due to increases in light levels reaching seedlings. Concurrently, little difference occured in the CO2-exchange rate between intact and clipped seedlings inthe released treatment although clipped seedlings maintained a consistently greater rate ofstomatal conductance. In order to reduce the high variability of light levels recorded in the field, gas-exchange measurements were conducted on intact and clipped cherrybark oak seedlings growing in a nursery bed under consistent light conditions. Again, no differences were found in the CO2-exchange rate between intact and clipped seedlings. Furthermore, no differences were found instomatal conductance and transpiration between intact and clipped seedlings. However, significant differences in gas-exchange were found between first-flush and second-flush leaves regardless of seedling treatment (intact or a sprout). Greater rates of gas-exchange in second-flush leaves can be attributed to developing third-flush steams and leaves.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationLockhart, Brian R.; Hodges, John D. 1994. Comparative gas-exchange in leaves of intact and clipped, natural and planted cherybark oak (Quercus pagoda Raf.) seedlings. Journal of Forestry 66(5): 404
- Comparative gas-exchange in leaves of intact and clipped, natural and planted cherrybark oak (Quercus pagoda Raf.) seedlings
- Prediction of leaf area in individual leaves of cherrybark oak seedlings (Quercus pagoda Raf.)
- Photosynthate distribution patterns in cherrybark oak seedling sprouts
XML: View XML