Skip to Main Content
Monitoring land/forest cover using the Kalman filter: A proposalAuthor(s): Raymond L. Czaplewski; Ralph J. Alig; Noel D. Cost
Source: In: Ek, Alan R.; Shifley, Stephen R.; Burk, Thomas E. Forest growth modelling and prediction: Volume 2. Gen. Tech. Report NC-120. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. p. 1089-1096.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.36 MB)
DescriptionAlthough growth and yield models have been used to update forest inventories for large regions, such models poorly predict cover changes from land use conversions, regeneration, and harvest. These changes could be monitored directly for large areas using remote sensing, which can be expensive, or estimates made by agricultural agencies, which are not detailed for condition of timberlands. The Kalman filter, which is a flexible statistical estimator, might increase statistical efficiency and produce annual estimates of cover by combining such direct monitoring with past knowledge (i.e., previous forest inventory) and expected change (i.e., model for annual change in land cover). This paper describes a potentially useful application of this topical estimator and presents specific proposals for practical methods.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCzaplewski, Raymond L.; Alig, Ralph J.; Cost, Noel D. 1988. Monitoring land/forest cover using the Kalman filter: A proposal. In: Ek, Alan R.; Shifley, Stephen R.; Burk, Thomas E. Forest growth modelling and prediction: Volume 2. Gen. Tech. Report NC-120. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. p. 1089-1096.
KeywordsKalman filter, monitoring, land/forest cover, statistical estimator
- Combining inventories of land cover and forest resources with prediction models and remotely sensed data
- Strategies to compensate for the effects of nonresponse on forest carbon baseline estimates from the national forest inventory of the United States
- Modeling Actual Evapotranspiration From Forested Watersheds Across the Southeastern United States
XML: View XML