Skip to Main Content
Benjamin Research Natural Area: guidebook supplement 36Author(s): Reid Schuller; Ron Halvorson
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-786. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 20 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (533 KB)
DescriptionThis guidebook describes Benjamin Research Natural Area, a 258-ha (637-ac) tract originally established to represent an example of the western juniper/Idaho fescue (Juniperus occidentalis/Festuca idahoensis) plant association. Subsequent field surveys indicate the predominant vegetation is best characterized as the western juniper/low sagebrush/Idaho fescue plant association. Current vegetation is dominated by western juniper woodland with an understory vegetation mosaic that varies with soil depth. Low sagebrush (Artemisia arbuscula Nutt.) occurs as the major shrub in shallow or rocky soils, and Wyoming big sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata Nutt. ssp. wyomingensis Beetle and Young) predominates in areas with deeper or more finely textured soil
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchuller, Reid; Halvorson, Ron. 2009. Benjamin Research Natural Area: guidebook supplement 36. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-786. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 20 p
KeywordsResearch natural area, Juniperus occidentalis, western juniper, Artemisia arbuscula, low sagebrush, Artemisia tridentata ssp. wyomingensis, Wyoming big sagebrush, Festuca idahoensis, Idaho fescue, relict vegetation, juniper invasion, juniper woodland, sagebrush steppe, Northern Great Basin, Oregon High Desert
- Powell Butte Research Natural Area: guidebook supplement 38.
- The Island Research Natural Area: guidebook supplement 35.
- Horse Ridge Research Natural Area: guidebook supplement 37.
XML: View XML