Cooperative Alaska Forest InventoryAuthor(s): Thomas Malone; Jingjing Liang; Edmond C. Packee
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-785. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 42 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (1.5 MB)
The Cooperative Alaska Forest Inventory (CAFI) is a comprehensive database of boreal forest conditions and dynamics in Alaska. The CAFI consists of field-gathered information from numerous permanent sample plots distributed across interior and south-central Alaska including the Kenai Peninsula. The CAFI currently has 570 permanent sample plots on 190 sites representing a wide variety of growing conditions. New plots are being added to the inventory annually. To date, over 60 percent of the permanent sample plots have been remeasured and approximately 20 percent have been remeasured three times. Repeated periodic inventories on CAFI permanent sample plots provide valuable long-term information for modeling of forest dynamics such as growth and yield. Periodic remeasurements can also be used to test and monitor large-scale environmental and climate change.
This guide documents sampling and estimation procedures of CAFI v.1.0, and provides details of the database, including attribute description and summary statistics. To help researchers and land managers successfully initiate or expand a permanent sample site program in Alaska, this guide offers a comprehensive tutorial to establish, maintain, and process permanent sample plots in Alaska’s boreal forests.
For more information, please visit http://www.faculty.uaf.edu/ffjl2/CAFI.html.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMalone, Thomas; Liang, Jingjing; Packee, Edmond C. 2009. Cooperative Alaska Forest Inventory. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-785. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 42 p
KeywordsCAFI, inventory, forest dynamics, forest health, boreal forest, tree characteristics, basal area, growth, mortality, recruitment, site, soil, ecology.
- Area change reporting using the desktop FIADB
- Forests of Kentucky, 2013
- Constancy and cover of plants in the Petersburg and Wrangell Districts, Tongass National Forest and associated private and other public lands, southeast Alaska.
XML: View XML