Skip to Main Content
NASA Cold Land Processes Experiment (CLPX 2002/03): Field measurements of snowpack properties and soil moistureAuthor(s): Kelly Elder; Don Cline; Glen E. Liston; Richard Armstrong
Source: Journal of Hydrometeorology. 10(1): 320-329.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (963.81 KB)
DescriptionA field measurement program was undertaken as part NASA's Cold Land Processes Experiment (CLPX). Extensive snowpack and soil measurements were taken at field sites in Colorado over four study periods during the two study years (2002 and 2003). Measurements included snow depth, density, temperature, grain type and size, surface wetness, surface roughness, and canopy cover. Soil moisture measurements were made in the near-surface layer in snow pits. Measurements were taken in the Fraser valley, North Park, and Rabbit Ears Pass areas of Colorado. Sites were chosen to gain a wide representation of snowpack types and physiographies typical of seasonally snow-covered regions of the world. The data have been collected with rigorous protocol to ensure consistency and quality, and they have undergone several levels of quality assurance to produce a high-quality spatial dataset for continued cold lands hydrological research. The dataset is archived at the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) in Boulder, Colorado.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationElder, Kelly; Cline, Don; Liston, Glen E.; Armstrong, Richard. 2009. NASA Cold Land Processes Experiment (CLPX 2002/03): Field measurements of snowpack properties and soil moisture. Journal of Hydrometeorology. 10(1): 320-329.
KeywordsCold Land Processes Experiment (CLPX), snowpack properties, soil moisture, Fraser Experimental Forest
- NASA Cold Land Processes Experiment (CLPX 2002/03): Atmospheric analyses datasets
- Airborn Ku-band polarimetric radar remote sensing of terrestrial snow cover
- The influence of an extensive dust event on snow chemistry in the southern Rocky Mountains
XML: View XML