Skip to Main Content
An evaluation of the grades and value of red alder lumber in southeast AlaskaAuthor(s): Allen M. Brackley; David Nicholls; Michael Hannan
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-774. Portland, OR. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 27 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (309 KB)
DescriptionMany stands in southeast Alaska harvested since 1950, especially where there has been a high degree of disturbance of mineral soil, have regenerated to red alder (Alnus rubra Bong.) and are now approaching maturity. The availability of red alder raises questions addressed in this study about the recovery of lumber from this resource. Information in this study was obtained from trees estimated to be 46 years old on a site outside of Ketchikan. Rates of recovery using a thin-kerf portable band mill were higher than those reported by larger production mills in Washington and Oregon. Grade yields of the Alaska material are comparable to those attained in other regions. This study determined that there were no significant differences in material characteristics that would set this Alaska log resource apart from red alder in the other regions of North America. The potential value of the products is sufficient to allow production in Alaska for use in the manufacturing of value-added products within the state or shipment of finished lumber to domestic or export markets.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBrackley, Allen M.; Nicholls, David; Hannan, Michael. 2009. An evaluation of the grades and value of red alder lumber in southeast Alaska. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-774. Portland, OR. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 27 p
KeywordsRed alder, southeast Alaska, lumber, grade, value-added products
- Red alder potential in Alaska
- Marketing recommendations for wood products from Alaska birch, red alder, and Alaska yellow-cedar.
- Red alder: a state of knowledge.
XML: View XML