Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Manual for computing bed load transport using BAGS (Bedload Assessment for Gravel-bed Streams) SoftwareAuthor(s): John Pitlick; Yantao Cui; Peter Wilcock
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-223. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 45 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2.04 MB)
DescriptionThis manual provides background information and instructions on the use of a spreadsheet-based program for Bedload Assessment in Gravel-bed Streams (BAGS). The program implements six bed load transport equations developed specifically for gravel-bed rivers. Transport capacities are calculated on the basis of field measurements of channel geometry, reach-average slope, and bed material grain size. Calculations are carried out using Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), and the output is stored on individual spreadsheets. In addition to step-by-step instructions in software operation, the manual provides guidance in the interpretation of results.
Download software: BAGS: Bedload Assessment in Gravelbedded Streams Version 2008.11_Update01
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPitlick, John; Cui, Yantao; Wilcock, Peter. 2009. Manual for computing bed load transport using BAGS (Bedload Assessment for Gravel-bed Streams) Software. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-223. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 45 p.
Keywordsbed load transport, transport capacities, Bedload Assessment in Gravel-bed Streams (BAGS)
- Sediment transport primer: estimating bed-material transport in gravel-bed rivers
- Guidelines for using bedload traps in coarse-bedded mountain streams: Construction, installation, operation, and sample processing
- Quantifying Channel Maintenance Instream Flows: An Approach for Gravel-Bed Streams in the Western United States
XML: View XML