Skip to Main Content
Manual for computing bed load transport using BAGS (Bedload Assessment for Gravel-bed Streams) SoftwareAuthor(s): John Pitlick; Yantao Cui; Peter Wilcock
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-223. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 45 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2.04 MB)
DescriptionThis manual provides background information and instructions on the use of a spreadsheet-based program for Bedload Assessment in Gravel-bed Streams (BAGS). The program implements six bed load transport equations developed specifically for gravel-bed rivers. Transport capacities are calculated on the basis of field measurements of channel geometry, reach-average slope, and bed material grain size. Calculations are carried out using Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), and the output is stored on individual spreadsheets. In addition to step-by-step instructions in software operation, the manual provides guidance in the interpretation of results.
Download software: BAGS: Bedload Assessment in Gravelbedded Streams Version 2008.11_Update01
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPitlick, John; Cui, Yantao; Wilcock, Peter 2009. Manual for computing bed load transport using BAGS (Bedload Assessment for Gravel-bed Streams) Software. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-223. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 45 p.
Keywordsbed load transport, transport capacities, Bedload Assessment in Gravel-bed Streams (BAGS)
- Sediment transport primer: estimating bed-material transport in gravel-bed rivers
- Guidelines for using bedload traps in coarse-bedded mountain streams: Construction, installation, operation, and sample processing
- Quantifying Channel Maintenance Instream Flows: An Approach for Gravel-Bed Streams in the Western United States
XML: View XML