Skip to Main Content
Sediment transport primer: estimating bed-material transport in gravel-bed riversAuthor(s): Peter Wilcock; John Pitlick; Yantao Cui
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-226. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 78 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.4 MB)
DescriptionThis primer accompanies the release of BAGS, software developed to calculate sediment transport rate in gravel-bed rivers. BAGS and other programs facilitate calculation and can reduce some errors, but cannot ensure that calculations are accurate or relevant. This primer was written to help the software user define relevant and tractable problems, select appropriate input, and interpret and apply the results in a useful and reliable fashion. It presents general concepts, develops the fundamentals of transport modeling, and examines sources of error. It introduces the data needed and evaluates different options based on the available data. Advanced expertise is not required.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWilcock, Peter; Pitlick, John; Cui, Yantao. 2009. Sediment transport primer: estimating bed-material transport in gravel-bed rivers. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-226. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 78 p.
KeywordsBedload Assessment in Gravel-bed Streams (BAGS), sediment transport rate
- Manual for computing bed load transport using BAGS (Bedload Assessment for Gravel-bed Streams) Software
- Bed load transport in gravel-bed rivers
- Performance of bed load transport equations in mountain gravel-bed rivers: A re-analysis
XML: View XML