Skip to Main Content
Fluctuations in national forest timber harvest and removals: the southern regional perspectiveAuthor(s): Sonja N. Oswalt; Tony G. Johnson; Mike Howell; James W. Bentley
Source: Resour. Bull. SRS–148. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 30 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.04 MB)
DescriptionHere, we examine fluctuations in timber harvest and removals on National Forest System (NFS) lands of the Southern Region in light of changing societal values and administrative policies. We also present timber product utilization information based on multiple data sources, examine NFS removals in the context of standing volume, and compare NFS removals with removals on other ownerships. Additionally, we compare the estimates generated using the Forest Inventory and Analysis inventory with data collected and reported in the NFS Timber Cut and Sold reports. Data presented in this bulletin will enable NFS managers in the Southern Region to take a more indepth look at amounts of logging residue left on the ground versus merchantable material leaving the forest. `
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationOswalt, Sonja N.; Johnson, Tony G.; Howell, Mike; Bentley, James W. 2009. Fluctuations in national forest timber harvest and removals: the southern regional perspective. Resour. Bull. SRS–148. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 30 p.
KeywordsFIA, logging residue, National Forest System, Region 8, removals, timber harvest, utilization
- Forest statistics for North Georgia, 1998
- Forest statistics for Arkansas counties - 1995
- Forest statistics for Arkansas' Ozark counties - 1995
XML: View XML