Nursery manual for native plants: A guide for tribal nurseries - Volume 1: Nursery managementAuthor(s): R. Kasten Dumroese; Tara Luna; Thomas D. Landis
Source: Agriculture Handbook 730. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 302 p.
Publication Series: Agricultural Handbook
Station: Washington Office
PDF: View PDF (12.0 MB)
Related Research Highlights
The Intersection of Science and Technology Transfer: Reforestation, Nurseries, and Genetic Resources Team
DescriptionIn 2001, the Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), through its Virtual Center for Reforestation, Nurseries, and Genetics Resources (RNGR), invited Native Americans from across the United States to attend the Western Forest and Conservation Nursery Association annual meeting. About 25 tribal members, representing 20 tribes, attended the meeting at Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colorado. The following year, a similar meeting was held in Olympia,Washington, and tribal members initiated a Tribal Nursery Council and requested that RNGR facilitate the organization. During 2003, RNGR requested information from 560 tribes across the United States, seeking specific information on tribes' needs for native plants, facilities, training, and so on. Results from the responding 77 tribes were incorporated into the Tribal Nursery Needs Assessment. Based on the results of that questionnaire, and input from tribal members attending the 2003 Intertribal Nursery Council meeting in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, it was agreed that a nursery handbook was needed. That fall, planning began for writing the manual, loosely based on Agriculture Handbook 674, The Container Tree Nursery Manual, but with special attention to the uniqueness of Native American cultures.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDumroese, R. Kasten; Luna, Tara; Landis, Thomas D., editors. 2009. Nursery manual for native plants: A guide for tribal nurseries - Volume 1: Nursery management. Agriculture Handbook 730. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 302 p.
Keywordsnursery, native plants, Virtual Center for Reforestation, Nurseries, and Genetics Resources (RNGR), Tribal Nursery Council
- National Proceedings: Forest and Conservation Nursery Associations - 2010
- National Proceedings: Forest and Conservation Nursery Associations - 2012
- National Proceedings: Forest and Conservation Nursery Associations-2011
XML: View XML