Skip to Main Content
Planning a native plant nursery [Chapter 1]Author(s): Kim M. Wilkinson; Thomas D. Landis
Source: In: Dumroese, R. Kasten; Luna, Tara; Landis, Thomas D., editors. Nursery manual for native plants: A guide for tribal nurseries - Volume 1: Nursery management. Agriculture Handbook 730. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. p. 1-13.
Publication Series: Agricultural Handbook
Station: Washington Office
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionEvery nursery is unique. The environmental, social, and economic context is different for each nursery. A wide variety of species and outplanting environments contributes to nursery diversity. In addition, each nursery has a distinct vision and purpose.The methods a nursery will use to bring people together, produce high-quality plants for the community, and share knowledge about those plants will also be unique.With so many diverse factors to consider, no standard blueprint for how to design a particular nursery exists. On the contrary, the very best nursery design will be matched to a particular situation, resources, and objectives. Although outside resources may be consulted during the planning phase, ultimately it is the nursery team that best understands the place, the plants, and the community.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWilkinson, Kim M.; Landis, Thomas D. 2009. Planning a native plant nursery [Chapter 1]. In: Dumroese, R. Kasten; Luna, Tara; Landis, Thomas D., editors. Nursery manual for native plants: A guide for tribal nurseries - Volume 1: Nursery management. Agriculture Handbook 730. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. p. 1-13.
Keywordsnursery, native plants, Virtual Center for Reforestation, Nurseries, and Genetics Resources (RNGR), Tribal Nursery Council
- Collecting, processing, and storing seeds [Chapter 7]
- Discovering ways to improve crop production and plant quality [Chapter 17]
- Harvesting, storing, and shipping [Chapter 13]
XML: View XML