Skip to Main Content
Holistic pest management [Chapter 15]Author(s): Thomas D. Landis; Tara Luna; R. Kasten Dumroese
Source: In: Dumroese, R. Kasten; Luna, Tara; Landis, Thomas D., editors. Nursery manual for native plants: A guide for tribal nurseries - Volume 1: Nursery management. Agriculture Handbook 730. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. p. 263-275.
Publication Series: Agricultural Handbook
Station: Washington Office
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionAs any experienced grower knows only too well, nursery management is a continuous process of solving problems. Murphy's Law of "anything that can go wrong, will go wrong" sounds as if it were meant for native plant production. One recurring problem is pests. Nursery managers have traditionally talked about "controlling" a pest. This approach usually involves waiting for an insect or disease to appear and then spraying some toxic chemical on the already dead or dying plants. Instead of a knee-jerk reaction to a specific problem, pest management should be a series of interrelating processes that are incorporated into the entire spectrum of nursery culture.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLandis, Thomas D.; Luna, Tara; Dumroese, R. Kasten. 2009. Holistic pest management [Chapter 15]. In: Dumroese, R. Kasten; Luna, Tara; Landis, Thomas D., editors. Nursery manual for native plants: A guide for tribal nurseries - Volume 1: Nursery management. Agriculture Handbook 730. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. p. 263-275.
Keywordsnursery, native plants, Virtual Center for Reforestation, Nurseries, and Genetics Resources (RNGR), Tribal Nursery Council
- Nursery management [Chapter 16]
- Problem prevention and holistic pest management [Chapter 14]
- Planning crops and developing propagation protocols [Chapter 3]
XML: View XML