Skip to Main Content
Molecular phylogenetics of the gomphoid-phalloid fungi with an establishment of the new subclass Phallomycetidae and two new ordersAuthor(s): Kentaro Hosaka; Scott T. Bates; Ross E. Beever; Michael A. Castellano; Wesley Colgan; Laura S. Dominguez; Eduardo R. Nouhra; Jozsef Geml; Admir J. Giachini; S. Ray Kenney; Nicholas B. Simpson; Joseph W. Spatafora; James M. Trappe
Source: Mycologia. 98(6): 949-959.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (4.5 MB)
DescriptionMolecular phylogenetic analyses for the gomphoid-phalloid fungi were conducted based on the five gene dataset with extensive taxon sampling. The monophyly of the gomphoid-phalloid clade was strongly supported, and four well supported major subclades were recognized. Three of the four subclades were represented entirely by gastroid taxa, and only Gomphales contained both gastroid and nongastroid taxa. While the gastroid morphology is derived from epigeous, nongastroid taxa in Gomphales, the topology of Phallales indicated that truffle-like form is an ancestral morphology of the stinkhorn fruiting bodies. Although basidiospore maturation occurs within the enclosed fruiting bodies of the stinkhorn, the elevation of the mature sporeproducing tissue represents an independent origin of the stipe among Basidiomycota. Comparisons are made between previous and new classification schemes, which are based on the results of phylogenetic analyses. Based on the results of these analyses, a new subclass Phallomycetidae, and two new orders, Hysterangiales and Geastrales, are proposed.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHosaka, Kentaro; Bates, Scott T.; Beever, Ross E.; Castellano, Michael A.; Colgan, Wesley, III; Dominguez, Laura S.; Nouhra, Eduardo R.; Geml, Jozsef, Giachini; Admir J.; Kenney, S. Ray; Simpson, Nicholas B.; Spatafora, Joseph W.; Trappe, James M. 2006. Molecular phylogenetics of the gomphoid-phalloid fungi with an establishment of the new subclass Phallomycetidae and two new orders. Mycologia. 98(6): 949-959.
Keywordsatp6, EF-lα, homobasidiomycetes, rDNA, RPm, systematics
- A new species of Phlebopus (Botales, Basidiomycota) from Mexico
- A new poroid species of Resupinatus from Puerto Rico, with a reassessment of the cyphelloid genus Stigmatolemma
- Improved resolution of major clades within Tuber and taxonomy of species within the Tuber gibbosum complex
XML: View XML