Skip to Main Content
MODIS tasselled cap: land cover characteristics expressed through transformed MODIS dataAuthor(s): S. E. Lobser; W. B. Cohen
Source: International Journal of Remote Sensing. 28(22): 5079-5101
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (4.7 MB)
DescriptionThe tasselled cap concept is extended to Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) Nadir BRDF-Adjusted Reflectance (NBAR, MOD43) data. The transformation is based on a rigid rotation of principal component axes (PCAs) derived from a global sample spanning one full year of NBAR 16-day composites. To provide a standard for MODIS tasselled cap axes, we recommend an orientation in MODIS spectral band space as similar as possible to the orientation of the Landsat Thematic Mapper (TM) tasselled cap axes. To achieve this we first transformed our global sample of MODIS NBAR reflectance values to TM tasselled cap values using the existing TM transformation, then used an existing algorithm (Procrustes) to compute the transformation that minimizes the mean square difference between the TM-transformed NBAR values and NBAR PCA values. This transformation can then be used as a standard to rotate the MODIS NBAR PCA axes into a new MODIS KauthThomas (KT) orientation. Global land cover patterns in tasselled cap space are demonstrated graphically by linking the global sample with several other products, including the MODIS Land Cover product (MOD12) and the MODIS Vegetation Continuous Fields product (MOD44). Patterns seen at this global scale agree with previous explorations of TM tasselled cap space, but are shown here in greater detail with a globally representative sample. Temporal trends of eight smaller-scale BigFoot Project (www.fsl.orst.edu/larse/bigfoot) sites were also examined, confirming the spectral shifts in tasselled cap space related to phenology.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLobser, S. E.; Cohen, W. B. 2007. MODIS tasselled cap: land cover characteristics expressed through transformed MODIS data. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 28(22): 5079-5101
- Stratifying FIA Ground Plots Using A 3-Year Old MRLC Forest Cover Map and Current TM Derived Variables Selected By "Decision Tree" Classification
- MODIS land cover and LAI collection 4 product quality across nine states in the western hemisphere.
- Evaluating the species energy relationship with the newest measures of ecosystem energy: NDVI versus MODIS primary production
XML: View XML