Skip to Main Content
Mill demonstration of TMP production from forest thinnings: pulp quality, refining energy, and handsheet propertiesAuthor(s): J.Y. Zhu; C. Tim Scott; Roland Gleisner; Doreen Mann; D.P. Dykstra; G. Holton Quinn; Louis L. Edwards
Source: BioResources. 2(4): 544-559.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (2.9 MB)
DescriptionHigh-value, large-volume utilization of forest thinning materials from U.S. national forests is a potentially important contributor to sustainable forest health. This study demonstrated the utilization of wood chips produced from thinnings for the production of thermomechanical pulp (TMP). Both whole-log chips (primarily from small-diameter logs, tops, and reject logs) and sawmill "residue" chips from a HewsawTM system (Mantyharju, Finland) were evaluated. The residue chips produced in this study were substituted for a TMP mill's standard residue chips up to about 50 percent. The whole-log chips were substituted for the mill's whole-log chips up to about 30 percent. The results show that substitution of chips produced from forest thinnings reduced refining energy in all trials. Pulp quality was maintained throughout all trials.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZhu, J.Y.; Scott, C. Tim; Gleisner, Roland; Mann, Doreen; Dykstra, D.P.; Quinn, G. Holton; Edwards, Louis L. 2007. Mill demonstration of TMP production from forest thinnings: pulp quality, refining energy, and handsheet properties. BioResources. 2(4): 544-559.
KeywordsForest thinning, small-diameter trees, suppressed-growth trees, thermomechanical pulp (TMP), forest fire, whole log, saw mill residues, pulp quality measurement, sheet properties
- Mill demonstration of TMP production from forest thinnings : pulp quality, refining energy, and handsheet properties
- Forest thinnings for integrated lumber and paper production
- Optimizing lodgepole pine submerchantable log thermomechanical pulp
XML: View XML