Skip to Main Content
Market-based approaches to tree valuationAuthor(s): Geoffrey H. Donovan; David T. Butry
Source: Arborist News. 2008(August): 52-55
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (1.1 MB)
DescriptionA recent four-part series in Arborist News outlined different appraisal processes used to value urban trees. The final article in the series described the three generally accepted approaches to tree valuation: the sales comparison approach, the cost approach, and the income capitalization approach. The author, D. Logan Nelson, noted that the sales comparison approach has the appeal of being based on observed market transactions. In this article, we outline the strengths and weaknesses of the sales comparison approach, define what type of value it estimates, and introduce the hedonic price method as an alternative, market-based method for valuing urban trees. We present results from a recent study in Portland, Oregon, that examined the value of street trees using the hedonic price method. The results from our study, although based on the Portland housing market, provide some broader insights into how trees affect house values.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDonovan, Geoffrey H.; Butry, David T. 2008. Market-based approaches to tree valuation. Arborist News. 2008(August): 52-55
KeywordsTree valuation, hedonic price method, market-based valuation
- The effect of urban trees on the rental price of single-family homes in Portland, Oregon
- Trees in the city: valuing street trees in Portland, Oregon
- Urban trees, house price, and redevelopment pressure in Tampa, Florida
XML: View XML