Skip to Main Content
A review of Erebomyia (Diptera: Dolichopodidae), with descriptions of three new speciesAuthor(s): Richard L. Hurley; Justin B. Runyon
Source: Zootaxa. 2054: 38-48.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.36 MB)
DescriptionThe genus Erebomyia is reviewed and a key is provided for the four known species, three of which are described here: Erebomyia aetheoptera n. sp., E. akidoptera n. sp., and E. ramseyensis n. sp. The type species, E. exalloptera Runyon & Hurley, is redescribed and the male genitalia illustrated. Erebomyia is known from Arizona (3 spp.) and California (1 sp.), and males are notable for their modified wings, most exceptionally those of E. exalloptera whose left wing is of a different shape and size than the right wing. The occurrence of directional wing asymmetry in insects is reviewed to place the unique wings of E. exalloptera in context. Observations of Erebomyia courtship behavior are provided, and the potential adaptive significance of asymmetrical and modified wings of Erebomyia is discussed.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHurley, Richard L.; Runyon, Justin B. 2009. A review of Erebomyia (Diptera: Dolichopodidae), with descriptions of three new species. Zootaxa. 2054: 38-48.
KeywordsNearctic, Sympycninae, wings, directed asymmetry, courtship display, long-legged flies, Erebomyia, Dolichopodidae
- A new synonymy in Erebomyia (Diptera: Dolichopodidae)
- Enlinia Aldrich, 1933 of Mitaraka, French Guiana (Diptera: Dolichopodidae)
- New species of Neopanorpa (Mecoptera) from Vietnam, with a key to the species of Mecoptera of Vietnam
XML: View XML