Skip to Main Content
Breeding frequency of western toads (Bufo boreas) in northeastern OregeonAuthor(s): Evelyn L. Bull; Cynthia Carey
Source: Herpotological Conservation and Biology. 3(2): 282-288
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (908 KB)
DescriptionMany species of toads (family Bufonidae), including the western toad (Bufo boreas), are declining in-the western United States. The ability of this species to recover from declines depends, in part, on its reproductive success. This study examined the breeding frequency in both sexes of B. borelis in northeastern Oregon compared to that observed in other populations. We recaptured 0 to 8.7 percent (n = 844) of adult female toads that were tagged between 2002 and 2007. Twenty-one females oviposited during two consecutive years, and two females laid eggs in three consecutive years. We recaptured 4.7 to 34.6percent (n = 2208) of adult male toads in a subsequent year. We captured 165 males in two consecutive years, 37 males in three years, and 14 males in four years.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBull, Evelyn L.; Carey, Cynthia. 2008. Breeding frequency of western toads (Bufo boreas) in northeastern Oregeon. Herpotological Conservation and Biology. 3(2): 282-288
KeywordsBoreal toad, Bufo boreas, fecundity, northeastern Oregon, oviposition, western toad
- Sexual differences in the ecology and habitat selection of western toads (Bufo boreas) in northeastern Oregon.
- Age-related seasonal variation in captures of stream-borne Boreal Toads (Bufo boreas boreas, Bufonidae) in western Montana
- Wildfire effects on water temperature and selection of breeding sites by the boreal toad (Bufo boreas) in seasonal wetlands
XML: View XML