Skip to Main Content
Using FIA data in the Forest Vegetation SimulatorAuthor(s): John D. Shaw
Source: In: McWilliams, Will; Moisen, Gretchen; Czaplewski, Ray, comps. Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Symposium 2008; October 21-23, 2008; Park City, UT. Proc. RMRS-P-56CD. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 16 p.
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (309.94 KB)
DescriptionThe Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS) is a national system of forest growth models maintained by the USDA Forest Service. It is the official tool for stand growth projection on National Forest lands, but it is also used widely on other ownerships. Model extensions and post-processors permit FVS users to perform a broad range of functions, including silvicultural manipulations, wildlife habitat analyses, and fuel treatment evaluations. Because FIA data were made available in FVS-ready format through the FIA Mapmaker interface, an increasing number of users have been using FVS as their tool of choice for compilation of FIA data at the plot level. With the transition from Mapmaker to FIDO, users who have built analysis systems around this data availability have lost access to new data. Due to the need to update FIA-FVS data translation, there is an opportunity to re-design the system to eliminate prior limitations and take advantage of recent developments in FIA and FVS. Select capabilities of FVS, and potential modifications and enhancements to the FIA-FVS linkage are discussed.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShaw, John D. 2009. Using FIA data in the Forest Vegetation Simulator. In: McWilliams, Will; Moisen, Gretchen; Czaplewski, Ray, comps. Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Symposium 2008; October 21-23, 2008; Park City, UT. Proc. RMRS-P-56CD. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 16 p.
KeywordsForest Vegetation Simulator, FVS, FIA Mapmaker, database, data access, ODBC
- Development of full regeneration establishment models for the forest vegetation simulator
- Forest inventory and analysis data for FVS modelers
- Spatial Information Needs on the Fishlake National Forest: Can FIA Help?
XML: View XML