Skip to Main Content
Overview of the National Inventory and Monitoring Applications Center (NIMAC)Author(s): Charles T. Scott
Source: In: McWilliams, Will; Moisen, Gretchen; Czaplewski, Ray, comps. Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Symposium 2008; October 21-23, 2008; Park City, UT. Proc. RMRS-P-56CD. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 8 p.
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (130 B)
DescriptionThe National Inventory and Monitoring Applications Center (NIMAC) was created by the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program in 2006. NIMAC addresses a growing need, expressed by FIA partners, for technical assistance in designing and implementing monitoring plans for forests at scales finer than that provided by the FIA standard inventory. NIMAC's goal is to develop leading-edge forest ecosystem monitoring methods and tools to help FIA and other organizations monitor forests, resulting in comparable results across the landscape. Methods and software tools are designed for use by land managers and across ownerships at landscape to national scales. To date, NIMAC has helped six states develop more specific inventories on their lands and is working with several National Forests on developing forest monitoring plans.
NIMAC is developing a monitoring toolkit composed of a design tool, field data collection software, data storage and compilation tools, and spatial/tabular analysis tools. The toolkit will be applicable to a wide range of customers including the National Forest System, states, and FIA itself. Honduras is funding the development of a Spanish version of the toolkit. NIMAC is being funded to work with National Forest System monitoring coordinators and planners to develop the question-driven monitoring design and analysis tools to help ensure that data are collected and analyzed efficiently and in a scientifically defensible manner. NIMAC's software enhancements also will provide added flexibility to FIA customers.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationScott, Charles T. 2009. Overview of the National Inventory and Monitoring Applications Center (NIMAC). In: McWilliams, Will; Moisen, Gretchen; Czaplewski, Ray, comps. Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Symposium 2008; October 21-23, 2008; Park City, UT. Proc. RMRS-P-56CD. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 8 p.
Keywordsforest, inventory, monitoring, FIA, sampling design, software
- Design tool for inventory and monitoring
- FFI: A software tool for ecological monitoring
- Bridging the gap between data analysis and data collection in FIA and forest monitoring globally: successes, research findings, and lessons learned from the Western US and Southeast Asia
XML: View XML