Skip to Main Content
Design tool for inventory and monitoringAuthor(s): Charles T. Scott; Renate Bush; Ken Brewer
Source: In: McWilliams, Will; Moisen, Gretchen; Czaplewski, Ray, comps. Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Symposium 2008; October 21-23, 2008; Park City, UT. Proc. RMRS-P-56CD. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 7 p.
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (140 B)
DescriptionForest survey planning typically begins by determining the area to be sampled and the attributes to be measured. All too often the data are collected but underutilized because they did not address the critical management questions. The Design Tool for Inventory and Monitoring (DTIM) is being developed by the National Inventory and Monitoring Applications Center in collaboration with the National Forest System (NFS) and the Remote Sensing Applications Center. DTIM will assist inventory planners by stepping them through the monitoring process: 1) identifying key customers and broad objectives, 2) identifying monitoring questions, 3) identifying attributes needed to answer the questions, 4) evaluating existing data; then if additional data are needed, 5) setting precision and cost constraints, 6) selecting the sampling and plot designs and sample sizes; and, 7) selecting the sample locations. A prototype was successfully used on the Mark Twain National Forest and is being applied on several other National Forests. A team of NFS representatives is identifying the requirements for developing DTIM to help establish monitoring plans on National Forests as well as for use by other Forest Inventory and Analysis partners.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationScott, Charles T.; Bush, Renate; Brewer, Ken 2009. Design tool for inventory and monitoring. In: McWilliams, Will; Moisen, Gretchen; Czaplewski, Ray, comps. Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Symposium 2008; October 21-23, 2008; Park City, UT. Proc. RMRS-P-56CD. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 7 p.
KeywordsFIA, sampling design, plot design, software
- Overview of the National Inventory and Monitoring Applications Center (NIMAC)
- Applicability of the Design Tool for Inventory and Monitoring (DTIM) and the Explore Sample Data Tool for the Assessment of Caribbean Forest Dynamics
- The Multiple Species Inventory and Monitoring Protocol: A Population, Community, and Biodiversity Monitoring Solution for National Forest System Lands
XML: View XML