Skip to Main Content
Climatological and statistical characteristics of the Haines Index for North AmericaAuthor(s): Julie A. Winkler; Brian E. Potter; Dwight F. Wilhelm; Ryan P. Shadbolt; Krerk Piromsopa; Xindi Bian
Source: International Journal of Wildland Fire 16(2) 139.152
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (1.2 MB)
DescriptionThe Haines Index is an operational tool for evaluating the potential contribution of dry, unstable air to the development of large or erratic plume-dominated wildfires. The index has three variants related to surface elevation, and is calculated from temperature and humidity measurements at atmospheric pressure levels. To effectively use the Haines Index, fire forecasters and managers must be aware of the climatological and statistical characteristics of the index for their location. However, a detailed, long-term, and spatially extensive analysis of the index does not currently exist. To meet this need, a 40-year (1961-2000) climatology of the Haines Index was developed for North America. The climatology is based on gridded (2.5° latitude x 2.5° longitude) temperature and humidity fields from the NCEP/NCAR reanalysis. The climatology illustrates the large spatial variability in the Haines Index both within and between regions using the different index variants. These spatial variations point to the limitations of the index and must be taken into account when using the Haines Index operationally.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWinkler, Julie A.; Potter, Brian E.; Wilhelm , Dwight F.; Shadbolt, Ryan P.; Piromsopa, Krerk; Bian, Xindi. 2007. Climatological and statistical characteristics of the Haines Index for North America. International Journal of Wildland Fire 16(2) 139.152
Keywordsfire, Haines Index, wildfires, climatology, forecasting
- A North American regional reanalysis climatology of the Haines Index
- Development of a Statistical Validation Methodology for Fire Weather Indices
- Development of a fire weather index using meteorological observations within the Northeast United States
XML: View XML