Skip to Main Content
Vegetation inventory data: How much is enough?Author(s): Bethany Schulz; Sonja Oswalt; W. Keith Moser
Source: In: McWilliams, Will; Moisen, Gretchen; Czaplewski, Ray, comps. Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Symposium 2008; October 21-23, 2008; Park City, UT. Proc. RMRS-P-56CD. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 11 p.
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (153.73 KB)
DescriptionRecognition of the value of forest vegetation data has increased in recent years, especially when it is collected using consistent methods over many forest types. Because the cost of collecting large datasets is substantial, managers must balance the cost of collection with the utility of the conclusions that may be drawn from the data analyses. There is no single standard for collecting vegetation data; sampling protocols should be developed to address clearly defined analysis objectives. We compare the utility of the established Phase 3 Vegetation Diversity and Structure Indicator data with the proposed vegetation data to be collected with the Forest Inventory and Analysis Program's Phase 2 Vegetation Profile.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchulz, Bethany; Oswalt, Sonja; Moser, W. Keith. 2009. Vegetation inventory data: How much is enough? In: McWilliams, Will; Moisen, Gretchen; Czaplewski, Ray, comps. Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Symposium 2008; October 21-23, 2008; Park City, UT. Proc. RMRS-P-56CD. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 11 p.
Keywordsbiomass, carbon pools, wildlife habitat potential, fuel characterization, diversity, species distribution, plant community classification, spatial scale
- Vegetation Inventory Data: How Much is Enough?
- Information for forest process models: a review of NRS-FIA vegetation measurements
- A discrete global grid of photointerpretation
XML: View XML