Experimental forests and ranges : 100 years of research success storiesAuthor(s): Gail Wells; Deborah Hayes; Katrina Krause; Ann Bartuska; Susan LeVan-Green; Jim Anderson; Tivoli Gough; Mary Adams; Thomas Schuler; Randy Kolka; Steve Sebestyen; Laura Kenefic; John Brissette; Susan Stout; Keith Kanoti; Fred Swanson; Sarah Greene; Margaret Herring; Martin Ritchie; Carl Skinner; Tom Lisle; Elizabeth Keppeler; Leslie Reid; Peter Wohlegemuth; Stanley Kitchen; Ward McCaughey; Jim Guldin; Don Bragg; Michael Shelton; David Loftis; Cathryn Greenberg; Julia Murphy
Source: General Technical Report FPL-GTR-182. Madison, WI: USDA-Forest Service, Forest Products
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (2.0 MB)
DescriptionIn 2008, Forest Service Research and Development celebrated the Centennial Anniversary of these Experimental Forests and Ranges. This publication celebrates the many scientists who over the course of decades conducted the long-term studies that began and are continuing to shed light on important natural resource issues. Story suggestions were solicited from the Experimental Forest and Range Working Group and were selected to demonstrate the array of research issues being addressed on these living laboratories. Gathering a wealth of information from her interviews with scientists, Gail Wells proceeded to write these “…wonderful success stories from 100 years of research.” Studies established decades ago on many of these sites are still going strong. Experimental forests and ranges provide a valuable, long-term stream of information about the land and its resources. Over the years, researchers have built an impressive body of science to support good land management and further understanding of natural processes. Their research sheds light on many important questions. These experimental forests serve as living laboratories that help us connect the future to the past.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWells, Gail; Hayes, Deborah; Krause, Katrina; Bartuska, Ann; LeVan-Green, Susan; Anderson, Jim; Gough, Tivoli; Adams, Mary Beth; Schuler, Thomas M.; Kolka, Randy; Sebestyen, Steve; Kenefic, Laura S.; Brissette, John C.; Stout, Susan; Kanoti, Keith; Swanson, Fred; Greene, Sarah; Herring, Margaret; Ritchie, Martin; Skinner, Carl; Lisle, Tom; Keppeler, Elizabeth; Reid, Leslie; Wohlegemuth, Peter M.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; McCaughey, Ward; Guldin, Jim; Bragg, Don C.; Shelton, Michael G.; Loftis, David; Greenberg, Cathryn; Murphy, Julia . Experimental forests and ranges : 100 years of research success stories. General Technical Report FPL-GTR-182. Madison, WI: USDA-Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 29 p.
KeywordsExperimental forests, United States, forests, forestry, research, rangelands, experimental rangelands
- Northwest research experimental forests: A hundred years in the making
- A century of cooperation: The Fort Valley Experimental Forest and the Coconino National Forest in Flagstaff (P-53)
- A century of cooperation: The Fort Valley Experimental Forest and the Coconino National Forest in Flagstaff
XML: View XML