Skip to Main Content
Computerized training for the hardwood sawmill industry: The edging and trimmer trainer (version 3.0)Author(s): Philip Araman; A Palmer; Matthew Winn; D Kline
Source: General Technical Report SRS-116
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (69.14 KB)
DescriptionIn the hardwood sawmill industry, decisions made at the various processing stages directly affect the value of the end product. In order to realize maximum product value, it is essential that employees be properly trained. The edging and trimming stage of lumber processing is one area where lack of proper training can result in poor manufacturing decisions and ultimately reduced product value. To supplement on-site training, we have created a computer program to assist edger and trimmer operators in making good manufacturing decisions. The Edging and Trimming Trainer Program is designed to help hardwood lumber edger and trimmer operators and sawmill managers better understand how lumber grade, surface measure, and price interact to affect lumber value and processing decisions.United States. We surveyed hardwood lumber producers. We will present the results of our survey. Scientists want to make a difference and to do that we need to complete the cycle with effective technology transfer.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAraman, Philip A.; Palmer, A Jefferson; Winn, Matthew F.; Kline, D Earl. 2009. Computerized training for the hardwood sawmill industry: The edging and trimmer trainer (version 3.0). General Technical Report SRS-116. Hot Springs, Arkansas: USDA-Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 235
KeywordsTrimming Trainer Program, Edging
- Increasing Hardwood Lumber Recovery and Value at the Edger and Trimmer
- Hardwood Lumber Edger and Trimmer Training System
- Resource Costs Give Optimization the Edge
XML: View XML