Skip to Main Content
Kalman filter for statistical monitoring of forest cover across sub-continental regionsAuthor(s): Raymond L. Czaplewski
Source: Biometric Bulletin. 8(4): 6016.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (190.0 KB)
DescriptionThe Kalman filter is a multivariate generalization of the composite estimator which recursively combines a current direct estimate with a past estimate that is updated for expected change over time with a prediction model. The Kalman filter can estimate proportions of different cover types for sub-continental regions each year. A random sample of high-resolution satellite scenes at time t=0 is classified into detailed categories to estimate proportion of cover types in the population, and its sample covariance matrix. Coarse-resolution weather satellite data at time t=0 are also classified for the entire study area (i.e. a census), but less detailed categories are used that are consistent with the coarse resolution of these data. The Kalman filter combines the two multivariate population estimates into a composite vector estimate. A probability transition matrix can estimate the proportions of the detailed cover types at time t=2 given the previous composite estimate at time t=1. This estimate can be combined with any new estimates for time t=2 (e.g. new coarse-resolution satellite data). This procedure is repeated for each time period.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCzaplewski, Raymond L. 1991. Kalman filter for statistical monitoring of forest cover across sub-continental regions. Biometric Bulletin. 8(4): 6016.
KeywordsKalman filter, forest cover, statistical monitoring, estimate
- Numerically stable algorithm for combining census and sample estimates with the multivariate composite estimator
- Kalman filter for statistical monitoring of forest cover across sub-continental regions [Symposium]
- Alternative method to validate the seasonal land cover regions of the conterminous United States
XML: View XML