Skip to Main Content
Strategies for global monitoring of tropical forestsAuthor(s): Raymond L. Czaplewski
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SO-113. New Orleans, LA: U.S. Dept of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. p. 10-19.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Forest Experiment Station
PDF: Download Publication (903.82 KB)
DescriptionThe Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) of the United Nations is conducting a global assessment of tropical forest resources, which will be accomplished by mid-1992. This assessment requires, in part, estimates of the total area of tropical forest cover in 1990 and the rate of change in forest cover between 1980 and 1990. The following are described here: (1) the strategic process used to select the statistical and remote sensing methods that accomplish this objective, (2) general details and expected precision of the selected method, and (3) recommendations for monitoring and assessment actions after mid-1992.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCzaplewski, Raymond L. 1994. Strategies for global monitoring of tropical forests. In: Gillespie, A. J. R., compiler. Remote Sensing for Tropical Forest Assessment. Gen. Tech. Rep. SO-113. New Orleans, LA: U.S. Dept of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. p. 10-19.
Keywordsglobal monitoring, tropical forests, statistical and remote sensing methods, monitoring and assessment
- Statistical strategies for global monitoring of tropical forests
- Potential for a remote-sensing-aided forest resource survey for the whole globe
- Mapping deforestation and forest degradation using Landsat time series: a case of Sumatra—Indonesia
XML: View XML