Skip to Main Content
Solar radiation and forest fuel moistureAuthor(s): George M. Byram; George M. Jemison
Source: Journal of Agricultural Research. 67(4): 149-176.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (2.0 MB)
DescriptionA major contribution to progress in forest fire prevention and control during the past 10 years has been the development and widespread application of methods of rating forest fire danger. Fire danger rating systems are now in use in all the forest regions of the United States. They have been described by Gisborne, Brown and Davis, Curry et al., Matthews, Jemison, and others. Under each of these systems the major factors affecting fire danger are measured and the measurements are integrated by means of charts, tables, or some mechanical device into ratings, on a numerical scale, which are free from the serious errors common in estimates of fire danger based on personal judgment alone. The numerical ratings are usually defined in terms of probable fire behavior or of manpower required for suppression. They serve as a guide to efficient distributIon of fire-control funds and personnel.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationByram, George M.; Jemison, George M. 1943. Solar radiation and forest fuel moisture. Journal of Agricultural Research. 67(4): 149-176.
Keywordssolar radiation, forest fuel moisture, fire danger rating systems
- Beaufort scale of wind force as adapted for use on forested areas of the northern Rocky Mountains
- Pocket calculator for local fire-danger ratings
- How to generate and interpret fire characteristics charts for the U.S. fire danger rating system
XML: View XML