Skip to Main Content
Virginia’s forests, 2007Author(s): Anita K. Rose
Source: Resour. Bull. SRS–159. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 77 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (11.07 MB)
DescriptionBetween 2002 and 2007, the Forest Service’s Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Program conducted the eighth inventory of the forests of Virginia. About 15.7 million acres, or 62 percent, of Virginia was forested. The majority (12.4 million acres) of Virginia’s forest land was in nonindustrial private forest ownership. Public ownership and forest industry ranked second and third, with 2.8 and 0.6 million acres, respectively. Red maple dominated the number of live stems (≥ 1.0 inch d.b.h.) with 1.4 billion stems (13 percent of total). Loblolly pine was second, with 1.0 billion live stems. While yellow-poplar was the most dominate species for live-tree volume with 5.0 billion cubic feet (15 percent of total), as a genus, oaks accounted for 33 percent of the live-tree volume (10.8 billion cubic feet). Biomass of coarse woody debris on forest health plots averaged 2.9 tons per acre for the State. The amount of carbon in coarse woody debris and fine woody debris averaged 1.4 and 1.7 tons per acre, respectively. The Forest Service’s FIA is the only program that conducts forest assessments across all land in the United States. Increasing demands on the resource and anthropogenic-related impacts on forests have intensified the need to conduct ecosystem-based inventories such as these.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRose, Anita K. 2009. Virginia’s forests, 2007. Resour. Bull. SRS–159. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 77 p.
KeywordsFIA, forest health, forest inventory, forest land, forest survey, timberland, Virginia
- Virginia’s forests, 2011
- Virginia's forests, 2001
- The Forests of Southern New England, 2007: A report on the forest resources of Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island
XML: View XML