Invasion of tallow tree into southern US forests: influencing factors and implications for mitigationAuthor(s): Jianbang Gan; James H. Miller; Hsiaohsuan Wang; John W. Jr. Taylor
Source: Can. J. For. Res., Vol. 39: 1346-1356
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (901.96 KB)
We identify species-environment relationships to predict the occurrence of Chinese tallow (Triadica sebifera (L.) Small) on forestlands in the southern US, where it has emerged as the most pervading, stand-replacing, alien tree species. Tallow invasions are most likely to be observed on low and flat lands, areas adjacent to water and roadways, sites recently harvested or disturbed, younger stands, and private forestlands. The winter extreme minimum trmperature tends to restrain tallow northward migration. Increases in both range and severity of tallow invasions are predited with a warming climate trend, and the situation could be worse if the warming is coupled with an increased frequency and intensity of disturbances. Monitoring and mitigation srategies are proposed to assist this region and other countries threatened by tallow invasions.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGan, Jianbang; Miller, James H.; Wang, Hsiaohsuan; Taylor, John W. Jr. 2009. Invasion of tallow tree into southern US forests: influencing factors and implications for mitigation. Can. J. For. Res., Vol. 39: 1346-1356
- Chinese tallow (Triadica sebifera) invasion in maritime forests: the role of anthropogenic disturbance and its management implication
- Mechanisms of Chinese tallow (Triadica sebifera) invasion and their management implications – A review
- The tortoise and the hare: A race between native tree species and the invasive Chinese tallow
XML: View XML