Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Synthesis and cure kinetics of liquefied wood/phenol/formaldehyde resinsAuthor(s): Hui Pan; Todd F. Shupe; Chung-Yun Hse
Source: Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 108:1837-1844.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (302.78 KB)
Wood liquefaction was conducted at a 2/1 phenol/wood ratio in two different reactors: (1) an atmospheric three-necked flask reactor and (2) a sealed Parr reactor. The liquefied wood mixture (liquefied wood, unreacted phenol, and wood residue) was further condensed with formaldehyde under acidic conditions to synthesize two novolac-type liquefied wood/phenol/formaldehyde (LWPF) resins: LWPF1 (the atmospheric reactor) and LWPF2 (the sealed reactor). The LWPF1 resin had a higher solid content and higher molecular weight than the LWPF2 resin. The cure kinetic mechanisms of the LWPF resins were investigated with dynamic and isothermal differential scanning calorimetry (DSC). The isothermal DSC data indicated that the cure reactions of both resins followed an autocatalytic mechanism. The activation energies of the liquefied wood resins were close to that of a reported lignin–phenol–formaldehyde resin but were higher than that of a typical phenol formaldehyde resin. The two liquefied wood resins followed similar cure kinetics; however, the LWPF1 resin had a higher activation energy for rate constant k1 and a lower activation energy for rate constant k2 than LWPF2.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPan, Hui; Shupe, Todd F.; Hse, Chung-Yun. 2008. Synthesis and cure kinetics of liquefied wood/phenol/formaldehyde resins. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 108:1837-1844.
Keywordsliquefied wood, phenol, novolac, DSC, kinetics (polym.)
Wood liquefaction and its application to Novolac resin
- Characterization of novolac type liquefied wood/phenol/formaldehyde (LWPF) resin
- Physical and mechanical properties of bio-composites from wood particles and liquefied wood resin
XML: View XML