The potential of wood-based composite polesAuthor(s): Todd F. Shupe; Cheng Piao; Chung Y. Hse
Source: 104th Annual Meeting of the American Wood Protection Association; 2008 May 18-20; Portland, Oregon. AWPA: 181-192.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.05 MB)
Wood-based composite utility poles are receiving increasing attention in the North American pole market. This interest is being driven by many increasing factors such as increasing: (1) disposal costs of solid wood poles, (2) liability and environmental concerns with traditional means of disposal of solid wood poles, (3) cost and concerns of long-term availability of pole-sized timber, and (4) environmental concerns and awareness of the general public regarding recycling, forest sustainability, groundwater contamination, etc. There have been several research projects over the years that have explored various methods of developed wood-based composite poles with varying degrees of success. This paper summarizes the past and current efforts of developing wood-based composite utility poles with an emphasis on recent collaborative efforts based at the Louisiana State University AgCenter. The omission of any wood-based composite pole efforts is unintentional, and we ask readers to bring such omissions to our attention.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShupe, Todd F.; Piao, Cheng; Hse, Chung Y. 2009. The potential of wood-based composite poles. 104th Annual Meeting of the American Wood Protection Association; 2008 May 18-20; Portland, Oregon. AWPA: 181-192.
- The Use of New and Recycled Wood Materials by the Pallet Industry
- Development and application of wood adhesives in China
- Mechanical properties of small-scale laminated wood composite poles: effects of taper and webs
XML: View XML