Skip to Main Content
Recommendations for improved assessment of noise impacts on wildlifeAuthor(s): Larry L. Pater; Teryl G. Grubb; David K. Delaney
Source: Journal of Wildlife Management. 73(5): 788-795.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (218.43 KB)
DescriptionResearch to determine noise impacts on animals benefits from methodology that adequately describes the acoustical stimulus as well as the resulting biological responses. We present acoustical considerations and research techniques that we have found to be useful. These include acoustical definitions and noise measurement techniques that conform to standardized acoustical practice and advice for controlled experimentation to supplement behavioral observation. Specific considerations include characteristics of noise stimulus, selection of noise metrics, use of frequency-weighting algorithms tailored to a specific animal species, selection and placement of noise measurement equipment, and methods for documenting animal responses. We also present arguments for measuring the noise stimulus at the location and time of each response observation. Our purpose is to recommend some baseline terminology, metrics, and techniques prerequisite to effective assessment of noise impacts on terrestrial wildlife whenever and wherever potential conflicts arise.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPater, Larry L.; Grubb, Teryl G.; Delaney, David K. 2009. Recommendations for improved assessment of noise impacts on wildlife. Journal of Wildlife Management. 73(5): 788-795.
Keywordsacoustics, behavior, dose-response, measurement, noise guidelines, noise impacts, noise metrics, noise standards, response, sound measurement
- Logging truck noise near nesting northern goshawks
- Noise impact issues on the Great Walks of New Zealand
- Acoustic emission and acousto-ultrasonic techniques for wood and wood-based composites: a review
XML: View XML