Raman analysis and mapping of cellulose nanocrystal-polypropylene compositeAuthor(s): Umesh P. Agarwal; R. Sabo; Richard S. Reiner; Craig Merrill Clemons; Alan W. Rudie
Source: Proceedings of the 15th International Symposium on Wood, Fiber and Pulping Chemistry, Oslo, Norway, (July 15-18, 2009). Oslo, Norway : Congress-Conference AS, 2009: Paper no. P-131_ISWFPC_Nano_composite_mapping
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (137.09 KB)
In this study, Raman spectroscopy was used to investigate the spatial distribution of cellulose nanocrystals (CNCs) in extruded polypropylene (PP) filaments. Raman maps, based on cellulose and PP bands, obtained at 1 micron spatial resolution showed that the CNCs were aggregated to various degrees in the PP matrix. Of the three composites analyzed, two showed clear existence of phase separated regions – Raman images with PP strong and cellulose absent or vice versa. For the third composite, the situation was slightly improved but a clear transition interface between the PP-abundant and CNC-abundant regions was observed indicating that the CNC remained poorly dispersed. Nevertheless, tensile and modulus tests of the composites indicated up to 10% improvement compared to PP alone.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAgarwal, U.P.; Sabo, R.; Reiner, R.S.; Clemons, C.M.; Rudie, A.W. 2009. Raman analysis and mapping of cellulose nanocrystal-polypropylene composite. In: Proceedings of 15th international symposium on wood, fiber and pulping chemistry. 2009 June 15-18; Oslo, Norway: Congress-Conference AS, www.congrex.no. P-131, 4 p., limited availability. http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf2009/fpl_2009_agarwal001.pdf or www.fpl.fs.fed.us/products/publications/specific_pub.php?posting_id=17552
KeywordsNanotechnology, cellulose fibers, cellulose, chemical composition, composite materials, mechanical properties, fiber-reinforced plastics, fibrous composites, thermoplastic composites, elasticity, modulus of elasticity, nanostructured materials, crystallization, Raman spectroscopy, wood-plastic composites, polypropylene, extrusion process, tensile strength, nanocomposites, nanocrystals, wood-plastic materials
- Chapter 1.4: Spatially Resolved Characterization of CNC-Polypropylene composite by Confocal Raman Microscopy
- Spatially Resolved Characterization of Cellulose Nanocrystal-Polypropylene Composite by Confocal Raman Microscopy
- Instrumented impact testing of kenaf fiber reinforced polypropylene composites: effects of temperature and composition
XML: View XML