The Value of Timber Inventory Information.Author(s): B.E. Borders; W.M. Harrison; M.L. Clutter; B.D. Shiver; R.A. Souter
Source: Can. J. For. Res.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (154.53 KB)
Timber inventory data is the basis for many monetary transactions related to timber and timberland sale and (or) purchase as well as for development of timber management plans. The value of such data is well known and much appreciated for sale and (or) purchase of standing merchantable timber. Unfortunatley, the value of timber inventory data for planning purposes is less well understood. We report on the results of a large simulation study that was undertaken to evaluate the utility and the value of timber inventory data for timber management plan development for typical timberland ownership in southern United States. Our results indicate that timberland managers are likely producing management plans that do not maximize the profitiailiby of their timberland holdings. Specifically, our results indicate it is likely that timber mangement organizations that develop timber management plans with stand level data athat has a sampling error of 25% are experiencing expected losses in net present value in excess of 170 US$-ha on a large proportion of the acreage found on typical timberland parcels in the southern United States.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationB. E. Borders, W. M. Harrison, M.L. Clutter, B. D. Shiver and R.A. Souter. 2008. The Value of Timber Inventory Information. Can. J. For. Res. 38: 2287-2294.
- Harvesting choices and timber supply among landowners in the southern United States
- Shifting private timberland ownership in South Carolina: implications for management intensiy
- Forest management and timber production in the U.S. South [Document prepared for Canada/United States lumber consultations]
XML: View XML