Gadolinium chloride as a contrast agent for imaging wood composite components by magnetic resonanceAuthor(s): Thomas L. Eberhardt; Chi-Leung So; Andrea Protti; Po-Wah So
Source: Journal article Holzforschung. 63:75-79.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (140.4 KB)
DescriptionAlthough paramagnetic contrast agents have an established track record in medical uses of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), only recently has a contrast agent been used for enhancing MRI images of solid wood specimens. Expanding on this concept, wood veneers were treated with a gadolinium-based contrast agent and used in a model system comprising three-ply plywood panels fabricated from two untreated veneers and one treated veneer. The limited degree of effect imparted by the contrast agent for specimens in a water-saturated state likely resulted from contrast agent losses due to leaching during the prerequisite water saturation process. Specimens were also analyzed in the air-dry state using a non-conventional MRI sequence. This allowed what appears to be the first reported visualization of earlywood and latewood bands in MR images for air-dry wood specimens. Observation of significant signal dropout for the gadolinium-treated veneer demonstrated the first successful use of a contrast agent to manipulate the signal intensity of a wood component within a composite structure. This technique shows promise for nondestructive two- and three-dimensional assessments of wood component (e.g., veneers, flakes, particles) distributions and orientations in wood composites.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationEberhardt, Thomas L.; So, Chi-Leung; Protti, Andrea; So, Po-Wah. 2009. Gadolinium chloride as a contrast agent for imaging wood composite components by magnetic resonance. Holzforschung. 63:75-79.
Keywordsearlywood, gadolinium chloride, GdCl3, ion exchange, latewood, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), plywood
- Use of gadolinium chloride as a contrast agent for imaging spruce knots by magnetic resonance
- Magnetic resonance imaging used for the evaluation of water presence in wood plastic composite boards exposed to exterior conditions
- Modern Instrumental Methods to Investigate the Mechanism of Biological Decay in Wood Plastic Composites
XML: View XML