Skip to Main Content
A MODIS direct broadcast algorithm for mapping wildfire burned area in the western United StatesAuthor(s): S. P. Urbanski; J. M. Salmon; B. L. Nordgren; W. M. Hao
Source: Remote Sensing of Environment. 113: 2511-2526.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.25 MB)
DescriptionImproved wildland fire emission inventory methods are needed to support air quality forecasting and guide the development of air shed management strategies. Air quality forecasting requires dynamic fire emission estimates that are generated in a timely manner to support real-time operations. In the regulatory and planning realm, emission inventories are essential for quantitatively assessing the contribution of wildfire to air pollution. The development of wildland fire emission inventories depends on burned area as a critical input. This study presents a Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) - direct broadcast (DB) burned area mapping algorithm designed to support air quality forecasting and emission inventory development. The algorithm combines active fire locations and single satellite scene burn scar detections to provide a rapid yet robust mapping of burned area.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationUrbanski, S. P.; Salmon, J. M.; Nordgren, B. L.; Hao, W. M. 2009. A MODIS direct broadcast algorithm for mapping wildfire burned area in the western United States. Remote Sensing of Environment. 113: 2511-2526.
Keywordsfire, burned area, fire detection, MODIS
- The Wildland Fire Emission Inventory: Western United States emission estimates and an evaluation of uncertainty
- A wildland fire emission inventory for the western United States - uncertainty across spatial and temporal scales
- AEGIS: a wildfire prevention and management information system
XML: View XML