Skip to Main Content
Multipartite Symbioses Among Fungi, Mites, Nematodes, and the Spruce Beetle, Dendroctonus rufipennis.Author(s): Yasmin Cardoza; John Moser; Kier Klepzizg; Raffa Kenneth
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (670.67 KB)
DescriptionThe spruce beetle, Dendroctonus rufipennis, is an eruptive forest pest of signifcant economic and ecological importance. D. rufipennis has symbiotic associations with a number of microorganisms, especially the ophiostomatoid fungus Leptographium abietinum. The nature of this interaction is only partially understood. Additionally, mite and nematode associates can mediate bark beetle fungal interactions, but this has not yet been studied for spruce beetles. In this study, we found eight mite species associated with spruce beetles: Tarsonemus ips, T. endophloeus, Histiogaster arborsignis, Dendrolaelaps quadrisetus, Proctolaelaps hytricoides, Trichouropoda alascae, T. n. sp. nr dalarenaensis, and Urobovella n. sp 767. The most prevalent species was H. arborsignis. In addition, 75% of beetles examined carried nematodes, with six species represented.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCardoza, Y.J., Moser, J.C., Klepzig, K.D., Raffa, K.F. 2008. Multipartite Symbioses Among Fungi, Mites, Nematodes, and the Spruce Beetle, Dendroctonus rufipennis. Environ. Entomol. 37(4): 956-963.
Keywordssymbiosis, bark beetles, Histiogaster, Leptographium, Hyphomycetes
- Can spruce beetle (Dendroctonus rufipennis Kirky) pheromone trap catches or stand conditions predict Engelmann spruce (Picea engelmannii Parry ex Engelm.) tree mortality in Colorado?
- Disruption Of Secondary Attraction Of The Spruce Beetle, Dendroctonus rufipennis, By Pheromones Of Two Sympatric Spcies
- Fungi associated with the North American spruce beetle, Dendroctonus rufipennis
XML: View XML