Evaluation of HDPE water sample bottles and PVC sampler tubing used in herbicide dissipation studies.Author(s): J. B. Fischer; J. L. Michael; H. L. Gibbs
Source: Technical Note 51 (5):1689-1695.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (1.82 MB)
The recovery of six herbicides (triclopyr, triclopyr ester, sulfometuron methyl, metsulfuron methyl, imazapyr, and hexazinone) was evaluated in two stream water samples, one from Weogufka Creek in the Alabama Piedmont and one from a stagnant stream in the Escambia Experimental Forest near Florida. Simulated field study conditions were used to evaluate collection, ambient (pre-retrieval) field storage, and freezer storage phases of stream water sampling. Method detection levels were developed for each herbicide in each water matrix. None -of the herbicides degraded significantly in either stream water after 24 days at 22 0 C to 25 0 C or after 12 months of freezer storage below _15 0 C. None of the herbicides tested appeared to leach from the automatic sampler tubing into subsequently collected samples. However, slight carryover of about 0.8% of the spiking level was observed in the first post-spike blanks collected for all herbicides. This appeared to be the result of physical adhesion of water droplets on tubing walls; no detectable carryover was observed in subsequent blanks. These results support the use of HDPE sample containers and flexible PVC automatic sampler tubing in environmental fate studies of herbicides.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFischer, J.B.; Michael, J.L.; Gibbs, H.L. 2008. Evaluation of HDPE water sample bottles and PVC sampler tubing used in herbicide dissipation studies. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers. Technical Note 51 (5):1689-1695.
KeywordsAutomatic water samplers, Environmental fate studies, Forest watersheds, HDPE sample bottles, Herbicides, High-performance liquid chromatography, PVC tubing
- Soil spot herbicides for single-stem hardwood control
- Non-biological synthetic spike-in controls and the AMPtk software pipeline improve mycobiome data
- Kudzu in Alabama History, Uses, and Control
XML: View XML