Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Modeling contemporary climate profiles of whitebark pine (Pinus albicaulis) and predicting responses to global warmingAuthor(s): Marcus V. Warwell; Gerald E. Rehfeldt; Nicholas L. Crookston
Source: In: Goheen, E., ed. Proceedings of the Conference Whitebark Pine: A Pacific Coast Perspective. R6-NR-FHP-2007-01. Ashland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. p. 139-142.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (714.91 KB)
DescriptionThe Random Forests multiple regression tree was used to develop an empirically-based bioclimate model for the distribution of Pinus albicaulis (whitebark pine) in western North America, latitudes 31° to 51° N and longitudes 102° to 125° W. Independent variables included 35 simple expressions of temperature and precipitation and their interactions. These climate variables were derived from a spline climate model that provides point estimates (latitude, longitude, and altitude). The analysis used presence-absence data from more than 119,000 plot locations largely from USDA Forest Inventory and Analysis. Of these plots, 2738 contained whitebark pine. Climate estimates were made for each plot location and assembled into 10 data sets containing all of the plots where whitebark pine was present at a proportion of 40%. The remaining 60% were randomly selected from the database.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWarwell, Marcus V.; Rehfeldt, Gerald E.; Crookston, Nicholas L. 2006. Modeling contemporary climate profiles of whitebark pine (Pinus albicaulis) and predicting responses to global warming. In: Goheen, E., ed. Proceedings of the Conference Whitebark Pine: A Pacific Coast Perspective. R6-NR-FHP-2007-01. Ashland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. p. 139-142.
Keywordswhitebark pine, Pinus albicaulis, climate variables, global warming
- Strategies for managing whitebark pine in the presence of white pine blister rust [Chapter 17]
- Non-Ribes alternate hosts of white pine blister rust: What this discovery means to whitebark pine
- The influence of white pine blister rust on seed dispersal in whitebark pine
XML: View XML