Skip to Main Content
Plant guide: Parsnipflower buckwheat: Eriogonum heracleoides NuttAuthor(s): Derek Tilley; Dan Ogle; Loren St. John
Source: Aberdeen, ID: USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, Aberdeen Plant Materials Center. Online: http://www.plant-materials.nrcs.usda.gov/pubs/idpmcpg7076.pdf
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (186.2 KB)
DescriptionParsnipflower buckwheat is a perennial forb to subshrub with a branching woody stem. Leaves are covered with dense white hairs making the herbage appear a light green to blue-grayish color. The flowers are a creamy-yellow color and have six petals which are borne in simple or compound umbels. Plants of parsnipflower buckwheat can be distinguished from other closely related members of the genus by having a whorl of 5 to 10 leaves at midpoint of flowering stem; however in some subspecies this is not apparent (Freeman and Reveal 2005). The seeds, or achenes, are light to dark brown from 3 to 5 mm long. There are approximately 374,000 seeds/kg (170,000 seeds/lb).
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTilley, Derek; Ogle, Dan; St. John, Loren. 2007. Plant guide: Parsnipflower buckwheat: Eriogonum heracleoides Nutt. Aberdeen, ID: USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, Aberdeen Plant Materials Center. Online: http://www.plant-materials.nrcs.usda.gov/pubs/idpmcpg7076.pdf
Keywordsbuckwheat family (Polygonaceae), Eriogonum heracleoides Nutt., parsnipflower buckwheat, whorled buckwheat, Wyeth buckwheat
- Eriogonum Michx.: wild-buckwheat, buckwheatbrush
- New species of Braggia (Hemiptera: Aphididae) on buckwheat in western North America
- Informing native plant sourcing for ecological restoration: cold-hardiness dynamics, flowering phenology, and survival of Eriogonum umbellatum
XML: View XML