Skip to Main Content
A three-dimensional model for analyzing the effects of salmon redds on hyporheic exchange and egg pocket habitatAuthor(s): Daniele Tonina; John M. Buffington
Source: Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 66(12): 2157-2173.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (926.6 KB)
DescriptionA three-dimensional fluid dynamics model is developed to capture the spatial complexity of the effects of salmon redds on channel hydraulics, hyporheic exchange, and egg pocket habitat. We use the model to partition the relative influences of redd topography versus altered hydraulic conductivity (winnowing of fines during spawning) on egg pocket conditions for a simulated pool-riffle channel with a redd placed at the pool tail. Predictions show that altered hydraulic conductivity is the primary factor for enhancing hyporheic velocities and dissolved oxygen content within the egg pocket. Furthermore, the simulations indicate that redds induce hyporheic circulation that is nested within that caused by pool-riffle topography and that spawning-related changes in hyporheic velocities and dissolved oxygen content could create conditions suitable for incubation in locations that otherwise would be unfavorable (reinforcing the notion that salmonids actively modify their environment in ways that may be beneficial to their progeny).
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTonina, Daniele; Buffington, John M. 2009. A three-dimensional model for analyzing the effects of salmon redds on hyporheic exchange and egg pocket habitat. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 66(12): 2157-2173.
Keywordsfluid dynamics, modeling, salmon redds, egg pocket
- Effects of stream discharge, alluvial depth and bar amplitude on hyporheic flow in pool-riffle channels
- A mathematical model of salmonid spawning habitat
- Effects of habitat quality and ambient hyporheic flows on salmon spawning site selection
XML: View XML